Wednesday, September 14, 2005

U.S. harassing Chavez in visit to U.N.

Reuters reports [Chavez Says US Meddling in UN Visit, September 13, 2005] that:

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Tuesday accused the U.S. government of trying to interfere in his visit to the U.N. General Assembly in New York by denying visas to his personal security detail and his medical team.
***

``They threaten to kill me from there and then deny visas to my closest security team who have been with me for years ... they deny my medical team their visas, I'm going to have to walk around the Big Apple by myself,'' Chavez said.

``Without a doubt they are interfering,'' he said during a ceremony to sign deals with a Chinese delegation.


And another Reuters dispatch [UN Assembly Approves Weakened Summit Blueprint, September 13, 2005] gives an update on my previous post regarding opposition to the Human Rights Council.

Cuba's delegate denounced some of the amendments inserted by the United States and criticized language on the goals of the new Human Rights Council as well as on trade. Venezuela also expressed reservations.


Unfortunately it is unclear what the substance of the disagreements was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web stevefake.blogspot.com
freeradical83.blogspot.com